Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Grasping

A blank stage. 
Probably marley.
Black curtains behind, and masking both sides.
Two men enter, barefoot, in black shirts and black sweat pants.
One is holding a skull.
One is holding a yellow ball with a smiley face printed on it.

or, maybe,

One enters in an overlarge wool winter coat, snowpants, fuzzy socks, a shaggy winter cap, and a red clown nose. He carries a skull in one hand, a bunch of white flowers in the other.

The other man enters barefoot in a black shirt and sweat pants. He holds the yellow smiley ball.

SKULL holds out the skull to the audience. 

SKULL
I got these for you.

SKULL realizes he's holding out the wrong prop. 

SKULL
Oh! Uh... I mean... I got these for you.

He holds out the flowers.

SKULL
Is it okay that I did that?

SMILES steps downstage, holding the ball aloft.

SMILES
Alas, poor Yorick!

SKULL
My name's not Yorick...

SMILES
I knew him, Horatio.

SKULL
My name's not...

SMILES
A fellow of Infinite Jest, of most excellent fancy.

SKULL
Matteo, I'm not--

SMILES
He hath borne me on his back a thousand times.

SMILES hops onto SKULL's back. The flowers and skull drop to the ground. He rides SKULL around, with a little sad protestation.

SMILES (while riding)
And now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it.

They fall to the ground. 

SKULL
Please...

SMILES
Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?!?!

SKULL is being whirled around by SMILES in an accusatory fury. 

SKULL
I'm sorry.
(to everyone)
I'm sorry, everyone.
I didn't... I didn't know...
I killed it.
It was my fault.
I didn't know that.

SMILES
Aw man, it's cool.
Don't worry about it.

SKULL
Don't... worry...

SMILES
Everyone gets bummed out now and then.

SKULL
Really?

SMILES
Yeah, just stop fucking fueling that shit, bro.

SMILES begins to dribble the yellow ball. SKULL recollects the flowers.

SKULL
What?

SMILES
Stop letting yourself get in that fucking mindset.
You know.
Man up.
Take those depressed thoughts by their fucking balls
And yank that shit up.

SKULL
Yank.

SMILES
BE A MAN, man.
Get rid of that shit.
Get on top of those dark twisted feelings
and FUCK them into SUBMISSION.

SMILES is taking SKULL from behind, who's frozen in terror.

SMILES
YEEEHAWWWW!!!!! YEAHHH BABYYYYY!!!!
Fuck the pain away, bro.

He dismounts.

SMILES
Life is not about pain, my brotha.
Life is about

He makes a grasping motion with his fist.
He repeats this several times.

SKULL stares at the skull.



No comments:

Post a Comment