Wednesday, February 13, 2013

a funny little moment

Quick one this evening.

Thought I was being brought in during my break at work today to get reprimanded,
The darkest part of my brain even thought fired.
Don't know how I got so skittish,
My mind jumped straight to the worst possible conclusion
to the scene answering the harrowing question
"can I see you for a minute on your break?"

There's that authority ghost again
Hamlet Sr. floating around
Revenge, he whispers.
Don't disappoint me.

Turns out she wanted advice in play producing
As a friend of hers was trying to get a play produced
Beyond a reading.
She had questions about corporate funding, the best kind of fundraising, etc. etc.
I was actually there as a friend, to give her advice.

It's such a strange transition
To be awaiting reprimand for
whatever, checking my phone during work,
Or not putting in enough evening hours
even though we agreed I needed a flexible schedule
And instead,
the Boss wasn't punishing me
But seeking council
On matters she didn't know as much as I did about.

I am sometimes surprised by how much I do know about this thing that I do.
It was a funny turn of confidence.
I left the evening feeling like an expert
In something I love

I'm glad to finally be back on doing more of it.

I don't know that this post is anything, but it struck me, and here it is.

1 comment:

  1. Is there any other phrase that causes such a nauseating gut sinking feeling as the phrase, Can I talk to you for a minute? UGH! Gets me every time. And really the number of times that it has been nothing, or even a friendly conversation has not diminished its effect on me.

    ReplyDelete